Director of Operations
About The Partnership for the Homeless
The Partnership is striving to create a world where housing is embraced as a human right.
We believe homelessness is solvable, and prevention is the best way to solve homelessness. Preventing eviction and immediate homelessness through rental assistance, legal referrals, landlord mediation and tenant education keeps families safely housed. Preventing ongoing risk of homelessness by offering families health and trauma-informed mental health services makes it possible for families to achieve lasting stability. Preventing barriers to children’s access to education and school, by keeping their families housed today, disrupts the generational cycle of homelessness and prevents homelessness in the long term.
We serve New Yorkers experiencing, at risk of, or recovering from homelessness. This includes people of any ability, age, family type, gender, national origin, race and sexual orientation.
Our Values are our North Star
Compassion, Inclusion, Integrity, Professionalism, Social Justice.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Operations directs day-to-day administrative and operational functions to advance The Partnership’s mission, values and strategic objectives. Specifically, they manage the facility and direct and coordinate HR, IT, Finance and Administration consultants and vendors to ensure systems, policies and procedures are in place to support organization-wide functions. A take-charge driver of systems, the Director is solution-oriented, data-driven and persuasive. They play a critical role in talent management, setting and ensuring adherence to procedures and creating a Continuity of Operations Plan.
- Serve as a senior advisor to the CEO, monitor (and mitigate/seize) operational risks and opportunities, ensure compliance and oversee the organization’s dashboard and risk register;
- Develop and maintain a Continuity of Operations Plan, detailing organization-wide and department-specific procedures, systems and processes, and coordinate the Senior Team and consultants in the development of annual work plans, quarterly and monthly reports and relevant external reports;
- Bridge the organization’s support functions (Finance, IT, HR, Administration), and provide day-to-day operational leadership ensuring all organizational needs are met effectively and efficiently;
- Liaise with the financial consultant to set and monitor budgets, review monthly financials, maintain compliance with internal controls and ensure coordination of audit processes;
- Direct human resources strategy and initiatives, working with the HR consultant to ensure an inclusive and equitable work culture, knowledge and application of, and compliance with, all relevant local, state and federal employment laws and regulations, and development and implementation of effective recruitment, onboarding, training and staff development processes;
- Manage IT consultant relationship to ensure appropriate inventory and data systems;
- Responsible for facilities management and supervising infrastructure needs and vendor/contractor relationships including, but not limited to: building management, insurance, office cleaning, extermination, utilities, telecommunications, equipment, plumbers and general contractors; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred;
- 15+ years of operations leadership, with 10 years in senior team role;
- Experience with budget and business plan development, with strong working knowledge of support functions, including HR, Finance, IT, administration, non-profit law and accounting, etc.;
- Proven executive level leadership, with a track record increasing productivity within organizations;
- Demonstrated experience and skills in project and change management with the ability to meet deadlines and achieve strategic objectives in a fast-paced and evolving environment;
- Experience hiring and retaining staff and leading through transition and growth;
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, with demonstrated ability to form and maintain strong collaborative partnerships and build consensus with colleagues;
- Experience and comfort with data and an ability to present for diverse stakeholder consumption;
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with diverse teams and stakeholders and commitment to fostering diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in a multicultural environment;
- Solutions-focused with an appetite for building and fixing support systems from the ground up, and ability to thrive in a high autonomy/high accountability environment with competing priorities;
- Excellent analytical, writing and verbal communication skills, Spanish a plus; and
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office software and CRM systems.
Equal Opportunities Employer
At The Partnership, difference is us. We are an equal opportunities employer and prohibit discrimination against any individual based on ability, age, color, creed, culture, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Comprehensive benefits package includes $125K salary, generous PTO, medical, dental and transit benefits, and 403(b) plan with employer contribution.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter that outlines in detail how your experience makes you a good fit for this role and The Partnership, along with your résumé. This position is typically based in our Manhattan office; due to COVID-19, all staff are temporarily working remotely (with occasional office and in-person meetings) until it is safe to fully resume on-site and in-person activities.